Monday, August 4, 2014

Bookish Pet Peeves #1

My books are some of my most prized possessions that I've ever owned, and while I love them, sometimes there are things that just get to me. That being said, I thought I'd talk about some of the things that truly irk me about either my books, or things I see other self-proclaimed book lovers do.

1) Dog-earing Pages 

Why would you harm books this way? When a book has no folds inside the pages and it looks like I just picked it off the shelf at the bookstore (you know, the way it should ALWAYS look), that makes me feel like everything is right in the world. But when I see someone try to bend a page in my book - and even when they try to bend pages in their own books - shit's about to go down. I just can't handle watching them mutilate the perfectly pristine pages like that. My reaction is always like:

2) Cracked/Broken Spines 

So I know some of you probably think this is kind of unavoidable when reading big books, but I discovered the secret. Open the book super tiny and then you can't read like, half the page, but WHO CARES because then the book looks better. This is important stuff. When I see broken spines, I just want to cry for the books. I just want to pet them and stroke them and tell that everything's going to be okay. BUT IT WON'T BECAUSE THEY'RE UGLY NOW.

    3) Tropes

    I hate it whenever authors use the word smirk or smug. I mean, I was all for it before, but there are an infinite number of ways to describe arrogance, and following basic tropes isn't fun to read about, and it doesn't really make the person sexier anymore like it used to. I swear, every book has those words in it now. AND OH GOSH. What about how everyone describes sex as "becoming one?" It's like, the only way YA authors can fathom writing about people doing the deed. Once, I was reading a series I liked, and I thought, "You know, this series is good enough that I think the author will know how to-  What? WHAT? NO. That's- This is- WHAT?" There are other ways to censor it! Find words!

      For now that's all, but there are definitely more I didn't list on here. Since this is just the first one, you can trust that there will be more coming soon! And if you have some of your own, don't be afraid to mention them in the comments.

      1 comment:

      1. I agree with you on all of these, especially the one about authors not describing sex with any words. There are very few YA authors who can write good sex scenes without being explicit. Some of the ones that come to mind are Huntley Fitzpatrick and Cassandra Clare.

        Amber @ The Book Cookies

        ReplyDelete

      Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...