Saturday, March 15, 2014

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

374 pages
Rating: 4.5/5
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.


Where do I begin? The world building, the characters, the plot, all of it was amazing. It was a mixture of Titanic in space and survival in unfamiliar places, but it was executed in one of the most original ways I've ever experienced. I mean, sure there were your everyday tropes thrown in (girl and boy hate each other and then they fall in love and something bad happens, and then there's a happy ending, etc.), but those only made it better! And the cover looks like everything I dream a book should look like.

Lilac LaRoux, this fabulously wealthy girl with a dad who does bad things to boys who like her, was lovely from beginning to end. Usually, I have a hard time making myself like the protagonist of books because they're selfish or stupid or something along those lines, but Lilac was perfection. She can't wield a bow and arrow like Katniss and she isn't in Dauntless like Tris, but I think she's one of those little known people who deserve to be filed under Amazing Chicks of YA. 

Tarver grew up without a name and rose to fame after becoming a war hero. He filled the role of survival expert wonderfully. I also normally tend to gravitate toward bad boys in books, but he was just so sweet and caring and considerate, I couldn't make myself not adore Tarver. I mean, practically every second he and Lilac were together on the planet the Icarus, he was trying to make sure she was safe and healthy.

The plot and setting was fantastic. There were dead bodies and hallucinations and crashed ships and sad aliens and all of it was beautifully done. Part of me wished they never had to leave the planet they were stranded on, but I understand why it had to happen. The fact that the characters survived all of the struggles that both their environment and their situation handed them only added to how great the book was.

By the way, there were a few tears shed. I'm a crier, not gonna lie, but there were tears and feels were powerful.

I'd recommend this to people who really enjoyed Across the Universe by Beth Revis and Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. Their are echoes of both of these in These Broken Stars that I'm sure YA Sci-Fi readers will enjoy a lot.


Rating: 4.5/5

10 comments:

  1. Ahh I read this a while back, and even though I didn't think it was super fantastic, I did really like it. I actually thought they were going to stay on that planet, and I wanted them to, but it just never turns out the way you want it too. Also, the whole ghost/alien thing went right over my head, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess to each their own. A lot of the time, I end up having the more unpopular opinion. :)

      Delete
    2. I also nominated you for the Liebster Award! http://innocentsmileyx3.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.html

      Delete
  2. This is a book I'd love to read, sounds like my thing..... can't wait to get my hands on it, eventually!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks intriguing, I'll have to check it out! I am a new follower on bloglovin', and I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Awards! Read this post on my blog for information on what to do next: http://takeawalkonthewriteside.blogspot.it/2014/03/liebster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing this book everywhere, I think it's time that I start reading it!

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award visit the following link to find out what to do next http://followtheyellowbookrd.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been really wanting to read this one!

    I have nominated you for The Liebster Award, please follow the link to see what to do next. http://lookingforelysianfields.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to read this book for quite a while now and your review just persuaded me even more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, i've just started reading this book and your review really makes me hopeful that I'll enjoy it!

    Fellow blogger Sinead @ http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...