Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tandem (Many Worlds Trilogy #1) by Anna Jarzab

Rating: 2.5/5
428 pages
Sixteen-year-old Sasha Lawson has only ever known one small, ordinary life. When she was young, she loved her grandfather's stories of parallel worlds inhabited by girls who looked like her but led totally different lives. Sasha never believed such worlds were real--until now, when she finds herself thrust into one against her will.

To prevent imminent war, Sasha must slip into the life of an alternate version of herself, a princess who has vanished on the eve of her arranged marriage. If Sasha succeeds in fooling everyone, she will be returned home; if she fails, she'll be trapped in another girl's life forever. As time runs out, Sasha finds herself torn between two worlds, two lives, and two young men vying for her love--one who knows her secret, and one who thinks she's someone she's not.

The first book in the Many-Worlds Trilogy, Tandem is a riveting saga of love and betrayal set in parallel universes in which nothing--and no one--is what it seems.


As far as the summary goes, I think it was a little misleading. I thought I was going to get something... happier? You know. A little Princess Diaries, a little Prince and the Pauper (but I've only watched the Barbie adaptation, so I'm not sure that's a good comparison) but Tandem was a lot less lighthearted and had a lot more crying and kidnapping.

Sasha was annoying and unexceptional. She made reading this book a serious struggle. When she wasn't complaining, she was experiencing some kind of emotional turmoil and doing something stupid in response. I couldn't make myself like her at all, except for maybe the first fifty pages of the book. Mind you, there's over 400 pages in total.

Thomas wasn't the best love interest I've ever seen, but he was still fantastic. I'll admit that I like him the most in the first forty pages and last one hundred-ish, though. The rest, I wasn't feeling anything particularly passionate. Callum, on the other hand, inspired nothing in me but maybe the kind of affection I'd feel for a puppy. I wish I liked him more, because he was sweet and adorable, but he's just a little too boring for me. I felt bad for him though, because Sasha totally led him on. She obviously loves THOMAS.

The thing that really made me like the book was the overall plot. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed it until I was done with the book, because all I could think was, "Where's the next one? I need it DESPERATELY." The parallel universes thing was mind-blowing and fascinating and I wish there were worlds I could visit like Aurora (but I still want to live on Earth, naturally). So, basically, concept was excellent. Execution... meh.

I'm not sure if I could really recommend this to anyone, because while part of me really enjoyed it, the other part was conflicted and frustrated the whole time. Seriously, my face was like the gif below every ten pages. But I guess check it out if you like reading romances, particularly ones with a more YA sci-fi twist.

Rating: 2.5/5

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow you're right this seems like such a good plot. I would read this too. I hate books that have such an interesting summary, but then just aren't what you expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, The Barbie Princess and The Pauper. That brings back childhood memories. The plot of this book sounds amazing, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when I'm conflicted about wether or not I liked a book. Great review, though. I wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Awards! Go here for more information: http://takeawalkonthewriteside.blogspot.it/2014/03/liebster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...