Friday, December 6, 2013

Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth

description
Allegiant by Veronica Roth
526 pages
Rating: 2.5/5
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent. 


THE SPOILERS ARE IN WHITE SO YOU CAN READ IT IF YOU JUST HIGHLIGHT THE TEXT. IF NOT, THEN LESS HEARTBREAK FOR YOU. (I totally just gave you a mini spoiler there.)

I hate having to write this, but I really didn't think that this book was in any way special - especially for such a highly anticipated conclusion. I thought it was too similar to Insurgent for one, though it wasn't Tris who was moping and annoying in this one. This time, much to my dismay, was Four. FOUR as in FREAKING TOBIAS.

With each new book in the series, I liked Tris less and less. Not even her abundant badassery was able to make up for it. She moped about her family all of Insurgent, and then in Allegiant, I thought she'd be better, but there I was annoyed with her for becoming a control freak. I mean, she made me dislike her for a whole new reason! (here's the spoiler part) And then she freaking got herself KILLED. She VOLUNTEERED TO DIE AND IT DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO HAPPEN. Let's just say that really brought me to tears (the 83,866 ply kind). Possibly because of the stupidity. Possibly because I was sad. Who knows?

I practically worshipped every page I saw Four's name on in Divergent, and then this comes and I just... I can't. I can't make myself like him anymore. He was PERFECTION in the first, and now, he's become a crybaby. I honestly can't tell the difference anymore between Insurgent Tris and Allegiant Tobias.
This is for both of you, Tris and Four. I'm not happy with you two.
I don't know why I gave it as high a rating as I did. Maybe it's because I liked parts of the plot, but those were few and far between. Very few scenes actually captured my attention like Divergent did. Parts of it gave me so many feels that I was literally clutching my chest and heaving breaths so loudly it was like a plane engine. 

I would recommend Divergent (10/10, by the way), but I can't say I'd recommend the series as a whole, especially Allegiant. Stopping after book one will not only leave you mostly satisfied, but you can keep living in a perfect world where Tris and Four are one of the best couples/people ever, in fiction and otherwise.

Rating: 2.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Though I did love it, I thought this was so, so disappointing. It didn't give me that satisfying feeling that I've come to expect in a series ending. Divergent was definitely my favorite book, and I wish it'd been as good as that one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...