Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Liberator (Dante Walker #2) by Victoria Scott

Bad boy, meet bad girl.
The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
The Liberator by Victoria Scott
331 pages of snarky wonderfulness
Rating: 3.5/5
Dante has a shiny new cuff wrapped around his ankle, and he doesn't like that mess one bit. His new accessory comes straight from Big Guy himself and marks the former demon as a liberator. Despite his gritty past and bad boy ways, Dante Walker has been granted a second chance.

When Dante is given his first mission as a liberator to save the soul of seventeen-year-old Aspen, he knows he’s got this. But Aspen reminds him of the rebellious life he used to live and is making it difficult to resist sinful temptations. Though Dante is committed to living clean for his girlfriend Charlie, this dude’s been a playboy for far too long…and old demons die hard. 

With Charlie becoming the girl she was never able to be pre-makeover and Aspen showing him how delicious it feels to embrace his inner beast, Dante will have to go somewhere he never thought he’d return to in order to accomplish the impossible: save the girl he’s been assigned to, and keep the girl he loves.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy this book at first, but when I went to the bookstore to find something to add to my towering TBR pile, this book was the first one that called to me. I think I actually heard Dante whispering in my ear, "You know you can't resist me, Amber. Take me off the shelf so we can be together forever."

When I read this summary, I can honestly say that I was scared out of my pants. A LOVE TRIANGLE? Unacceptable! Dante Walker is allowed one girl and one ONLY. Her name is Charlie and she's fabulous (alright, I'm included too). I laughed hard when I found out that the fantastic Victoria Scott wrote a letter to her fans telling everyone that they were being ridiculous and love triangles suck. So I did my happy dance for like an hour:


The voice used in The Liberator was just as unique and amusing as in The Collector. I love reading how Dante thoughts roam, especially when he's jealous of someone touching Charlie. Nearly everything that comes out of his mouth makes me smile or giggle. He's still got a bountiful supply of nicknames (Lucifer was renamed Lucille. Isn't that adorable?), a near constant arrogance that makes me laugh and swoon at the same time, and this wonderful love for Charlie that melts me into a puddle on the spot. He and Charlie are just... I ship it SO HARD.

In the beginning, Dante was a little lost about himself. He wanted to be good for Charlie, but I guess he didn't think that he deserved it or something, so he would always think the worst of himself. And speaking of Charlie, I think I liked her much more in the first book, because I got a good look at what her personality was really like. In The Liberator, most of what I saw from her was stubbornness, which was great sometimes, but it made me want to strangle her also.

They also introduced a chick named Aspen, whom I was scared would break up CharDante, but all she was to him was a not blood-related sister. He only saw that she was very similar to him. But that didn't stop me from not liking her. I couldn't help it! I resented her for scaring me so badly when I didn't realize that this wasn't a love triangle. If not for that, she was an awesome girl who had some seriously badass moments that I just couldn't help but appreciate her for.

I wish there was more romance between Charlie and Dante in here, but less cheesy. The entire beginning of the book, they were drawing apart and sure, they fixed that issue, but I couldn't help but feel unsatisfied. In the first one, after every romantic moment, I would just swoon sigh and smile, but in this, not nearly as often. Maybe I was the only one? I don't know.

Despite whatever negative thing I may have said about it, don't worry. It was awesome regardless of all that! Anyone who enjoyed the first book is going to pick this up and devour it in a night, mourning the fact that you're done when the last page comes around. You should go get it, like now. And if you have yet to start the series, then WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Rating: 3.5/5, but only because I liked the first one better.
Click here for the review of The Collector.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...