Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Origin (The Lux #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
366 pages of ACTUAL perfection
Rating: 4/5
Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.
All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?
Together, they can face anything. 

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? 
And will they even be together?



So I've come to the conclusion that everything Jennifer L. Armentrout writes is absolute, pure unadulterated majesticalness. The feels were so intense, I may have taken a few breaks to get a handle on myself (i.e. wiping drool off my face when Daemon and Katy are together and regulating my breathing so I don't accidentally asphyxiate when Daemon walks into the room). It's tough business, controlling my practically rampant emotions.

This book was amazing. There was a perfect combination of depth and badassery coming from both Daemon and Katy, further proving my theory that they are the most perfect canon couple ever (the best non-canon being Dramione, naturally). The beginning made my heart clench for them since they were separated, as readers of Opal are aware. That third in the series ended in the most FRUSTRATING cliff-hanger ever. As the book progressed, the same heart clenchy-ness was there, but for different reasons that I won't mention, because if I start with spoilers now, it'll be a running theme for the rest of this review.

With most main characters, their personality starts to diminish after the first few books, but I still adore Katy just as much as I did in the Obsidian and maybe a little more. She goes through so many horrible experiences and yet still talks like a relatable person. She said something once about missing her blogging and reading, and I just couldn't help smiling at that. After all of her suffering, Miss Katy Swartz still sees the value in a good book. She's my kind of girl. Overall, one of my favorite heroines.

Daemon. Well, I think it's safe to say that I worship that boy. He can go from super sweet boyfriend mode to badass warrior in the blink of an eye. It's endearing, considering he mostly fights to keep Katy safe and he's only nice to Katy and his siblings, but sarcastic and rude to everyone else. I know for some people that's a turn off, but I was like sitting in a corner, dousing myself in cold water so as not to get burned by the fiery intensity of my love his hotness. He's still something of a control freak in this book, needing to be able to help the ones he loves more than anything else. Personally, I think to really experience the full Daemon effect, you have to start at Book 1.

The plot had some nice twists and turns. There's an introduction to a new group of alien variations called Origins who are the children of aliens and hybrids, which I suppose I didn't see coming. I did see, though, that this would mostly be a book about Katy and Daemon being on the run from Daedalus, which I was right about. However, as a warning, beware of some shocking betrayals and a "What the EFF?" ending. Not as bad as Opal, but I'm itching for the next one. But not all the surprises are bad, guys. Some of them will make your heart pound from happiness.

My issues were that I didn't really see the point of adding the Origins into the mix of drama. I don't really see what they contribute and I think the story could develop fine without them. Also, I couldn't stand Beth or Dee. They were my least favorite characters throughout the series. Beth is too depressing and useless, a hindrance even. Dee was awful to Katy in Opal and I'm not ready to forgive that yet.

Like I said before, if you haven't already, start the Lux series! You won't regret it! I'm going around recommending this series to everyone, and I don't do that with many books, so get on it.

Rating: 4/5, because I thought that the addition of Origins was pointless. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this series too! Daemon is absolutely wonderful and I like Katy just as much as I did the first time we met her. Dee gets on my nerves a bit too though I do like Bethany. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Dying To Read This Series Since Everyone Talking About LOVES IT!!! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award :D Congrats!! Details can be found here: http://abookparadise.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-award-again.html Much Love, Tanya x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the Lux series. I really didn't want to read it and/or like it but I did and I definitely do. It is IMPOSSIBLE to put it down once you start it. I agree with you about the origins but I hope they play a major role in the last book so their existence in Origin makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God, I loved this review! Your blog is beautiful and I'm so glad you love the Lux series cos I'm such a fangirl for them! You've totally earned a new follower and I hope you'll take a look at my reviews too!
    Sinead at http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...