Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Carrier of the Mark (Carrier #1) by Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy, #1)
Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
342 pages of well... meh
Rating: 2/5
Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

I read many reviews before I bought this book, most of which claimed that it sucked ass, but what can I say? I guess I wanted to see for myself. I'm hesitant to trust other people's opinions, you see. (Isn't it ironic that I blog all of my opinions for you guys to trust? I just assume I have the better judgement.) I understand now, that I was wrong to try to be independent. I should have listened to the wise opinions of my fellow bloggers. Forgive me.

So basically, this girl named Megan moves to Ireland where she meets this mysterious guy named Adam and she decides that she's totally in love with him. She finds out later on that Adam and his family are gifted with ability to control elements and surprise so can Megan! A pinch of bad guys here, a dash of forbidden romance there, and a good helping of drama is a good way of summarizing this book.

If you can't already tell, I've developed a slight distaste to Megan Rosenberg. It seemed like the author wanted her to seem like a girl determined to fight for love, but she came off as a selfish, predictable, and silly girl who fell in love with a pretty face and is willing to burn down the world in order to have said pretty face on her arm. So no me gusta.

I tried so hard to like Adam. My effort was practically tangible. There were paragraphs going on about how gorgeous he was. But the thing is, he was just as awkward as he was gorgeous. Maybe it was intended to be an endearing feature, but I like my boys cool and confident. Sorry, Leigh Fallon. Give me someone more badass, yeah?

And then there was in instance where a couple characters were on the verge of death, and I didn't care at all. I never developed and particular liking toward any person in the whole book. Except maybe Rian. I like him a little. Another bone, I didn't really like the attempt at scientific explanations. I have an equation I like to use for situations like this. I used paint again because I love it.
If you can't tell, they're all under a microscope. 
Do I recommend it? I don't think so. Maybe to some people on a good day, but generally speaking, probably not. Don't get me wrong - the writing style wasn't bad. It was my indifference to the characters that really killed the story for me.

Rating: 2/5
Side Note: My six-year-old little sister read the title of the book and the first thing she said was, "Why'd they name it so silly?" Sometimes, she's so wise.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to hear that this wasn't very good because I LOVE the cover. =/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...