Sunday, July 14, 2013

Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) by Abbi Glines

Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1)
Breathe by Abbi Glines
334 pages of fulfilled fantasies
Rating: 3.5/5
Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.


I don't know what possessed me to buy another book by Abbi Glines, because I distinctly remember hating Existence (link for the review at the bottom). But for some reason, I decided to give it a shot and I was surprised by how much more I enjoyed this. What shocked me the most is that I usually prefer paranormal romance, and then this contemporary stuff comes along and my thought process is, fangirlfangirlfangirl. Because I finished it in a night, guys. I picked it up at midnight and finished at around four or five.

This was literally the book of dream and fantasy fulfillment. All my dreams ever in the world came true (except for becoming a Hogwarts witch and marrying Draco). If you ever wanted a rock star boyfriend, pick up this little lovely and take a gander! I caution you though, it's very romantic and there are a few scenes that are slightly... *cough*... slightly... *cough, cough* WELL, let's just say that some material in Breathe would make a much better bedtime story for a nympho than a child. I averted my eyes because I'm a prude.

Sadie White, I must hand it to you, you get the award for Mary Sue-ness. Never before. I have never before encountered such a gargantuan Mary Sue. I looked for a fault, BUT SHE HAS NONE. Every guy practically drops to her feet and kisses each toe in shameless worship. She's good at everything. I mean that if I asked her to bake a crème brûlée (yes, I did Google how to spell that) with one hand, play the mandolin with the other, and knit a scarf with her toenails alone, all at the same time, she'd get that shit done by the time the commercial break was over. It was annoying, but I managed to survive somehow.

Jax was this crazysuperfamous rock star that basically made every girl within three miles swoon. I'm pretty sure you could add a couple boys in the mix too (and I'm talkin' about the straight ones). He was just amazing. Just amazing. His life had a a bit too much drama, but it added to the plot really well. Maybe it's just something about him musicians, but I was swooning just like every other person in the book.

My biggest issue with this book was that Jax Stone was exactly like Dank Walker in Existence. The only difference is that Dank deals with dead people. I mean, they're both famous musicians, they both played for their love interests while said love was in some sort of medical facility, both fell in insta-forever-love with their girlfriends. GAH. NO.

I don't know if I'd recommend this book. Maybe. Depends on how I'm feeling for the day, I guess. I know one thing's for sure though. I'm not picking up another Abbi Glines book for fear that I'll get another Dank Walker doppleganger.

Rating: 3.5
Click here for the link to Existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...