Tuesday, July 30, 2013

After Realm by Renee Travis

After Realm
After Realm by Renee Travis
214 pages of so much awesome
Rating: 3.5/5
Hellebella is not your average teenager. She is a demon princess from the underworld. She does, however, have teenager tendencies. She is outspoken, blunt, funny and rebellious. When a final act of rebellion sends her father into a rage, he sends her off to the North American School of Paranormal Princes-sing where he hopes she can learn to become a proper young lady and do something constructive with her life.

Not the only princess being sent away to the NASPP, Hellebella meets a lively bunch of girls from different paranormal kingdoms, including fairies, a vampire and shape-shifters. But not everything is light and happy at school. The girls find themselves entranced by a secret and mysterious club in another realm. There, they are forced to dance every night, and if they do not the consequences are dire. 

Helle, as her new friends call her, must find a way to break them free of the spell holding them hostage, figure out WHO is behind the malicious magic and struggle with her own love for her best friend’s brother. Hopefully she can save them in time, before they become ghosts powerless to stop the magic from harming someone else. (via Goodreads)


(I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

After Realm was a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses with some slight twists. For example, while often your vision of the main character may be the lovely blond from the Barbie rendition of this story, the protagonist in this story was a red-skinned, horned demon princess. That's right. BUT SHE WAS SO FLIPPING AWESOME.

Straight off the bat, I could tell that although the story was a little strange and maybe not for all tastes, I would love it. I think it's because the whole idea was so wonderfully weird. I've just never seen anything like this. A boarding school of paranormal princesses that sneak away to dance club at night who give lip to their teachers when asked where they were? So awesome. The beginning was a bit slow, but once I got into it, I hated having to put it down.

Hellebella was the demon princess I mentioned earlier. She was the coolest person in the world- Sorry, underworld (that was my attempt at a joke). There were a handful of times here and there when all I wanted to do was swat her across the head and ask her what the hell she was thinking, but overall, I have to say that she was a wonderful heroine. Just the take-action kind of girl I needed after reading so many weak main characters lately.

There was also her fabulous love interest, Roarke, with whom I have fallen in love. Vampires don't really do it for me anymore as I have grown out of my Twilight phase (What? No, I never liked Twlight. *turns head in shame*), but my, my Roarke... Is it possible to dislike you? And the princesses! They all had at least a little sip out of the Chalice of Badassery. Hellebella took a Big Gulp sized swallow. They were amazing. That is all.
What can I say? I like Microsoft Paint.
I do have a bone to pick with this, though. Not many, but still. I couldn't help feeling like the ending was unresolved or abrupt and I just kept thinking, There must be more pages here somewhere! Are they hiding from me? And then there was also the fact that it needed a little bit of editing here and there. Other than that, I was pretty gosh darn satisfied with After Realm.

I'd recommend this to all you YA paranormal romance lovers out there. You guys would be more likely to enjoy the story since there is basically all the paranormal creatures ever in the world in here. Well, not quite, but there are freaking loads. It was an excellent read and I didn't want it end!

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...