Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Spirit Walk by Richie Tankersley Cusick

Spirit Walk (Walk, #1-2)
Spirit Walk by Richie Tankersley Cusick
704 pages of tingles down my spine
Rating: 4/5
Something haunts Miranda Barnes. It's in the distant pleading voice that wakes her from sleep, the lingering smell of roses, and the shadows that seem to follow her everywhere. Miranda being to understand that she has a special gift for communicating with spirits of the dead. But this "gift" feels more like a curse, and Miranda has no one to confide in. When Etienne, the mysterious boy from her class, offers to help., Miranda is initially skeptical, but can't help feeling drawn to him. As paranormal activity escalates, passion grows, and soon Miranda is caught up in both romance... and tragedy.

Chills! They were crawling down my back as I read Spirit Walk. I'm an easily scared person, I grant you, but it's still pretty cool that some people have the ability to make me want to wet myself from just reading a few well-placed words. I didn't expect to enjoy this half as much as I did, seeing as I was fully prepared to return it before reading the first page, but for some reason, I decided to take a crack at it. "Pleasant surprise" is a good understatement to describe the experience.

Spirit Walk was a combination of two books in the series (Walk of the Spirits and  Shadow Mirror) and it mainly centers on paranormal romance with a pinch of horror. The latter is something I try to avoid, because it often takes me years to recover from the scarring trauma of scary stories/movies, but this book was infused with love, sadness, and humor. I've read books to do with ghosts, but few have truly made my spine tingle. Nor have any other ones made me fear mirrors, but this... This is memorable just like me (I have worse memory than Dory, guys, so that just goes to show how awesome this is).

Miranda, a girl who can communicate with ghosts (albeit in a 350-pages-per-solution-to-the-ghost's-issue way), just moved to Louisiana after losing everything to a tornado. She's into the "woe is me" perspective in the beginning, but she toughs through it, and I realized how likable she was when she didn't feel bad for herself. She was also willing to help spirits for no other reason than that they needed her. Regardless, Miranda turned out to be an exceptionally kick-ass heroine, even if she didn't shoot arrows with perfect precision or stab people into a bloody mess with beautiful grace.

There are two love interests in this book. Supermegafoxyawesomehot Etienne and this other dude named Gage. Wanna guess which I like more? Anyway, Etienne has this heart-melting habit of sneaking into Miranda's room to comfort her when the ghosts go bump in the night and he's just so sexy all the time without trying and when I think about him... Drool... Gage is alright, I guess. He serves as a nice way to make Etienne jealous but that's all he does for me. So, TEAM ETIENNE!

I usually don't care much for minor characters - one or two at most in a single book - but I liked all of Miranda's friends. There were subplots everywhere too, and it added depth to them which is great because I hate cardboard cutout characters. Her friends were all varied as well, like one of them was a football player, one was a southern bell, one was goth, and so on. It just made for many moments of magnificent sassiness.

(Beware of the spoiler in here. Turn away if you must.)
I would recommend this book to everyone. All the people in the world, go out and buy this book because THERE NEEDS TO BE A THIRD IN THE SERIES. Truly, guys. The author hasn't been signed for a third one and I just can't stand all the untied ends. I mean, Miranda has only mostly chosen Etienne. She needs to choose him all the way! Do you hear me, Richie Tankersley Cusick? GET IT DONE.

Rating: 4/5
Go read it, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...