Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1) by C.E. Wilson

Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence)
Oath of Servitude by C.E. Wilson
159 pages of uniqueness (no, really!)
Rating: 3.5/5
This is the story of Teague and Cailin, two teenagers who have been brought together by fate. Teague, a human, struggles to come to terms with the consequences of a recent accident that has destroyed the happy life that he had once enjoyed. Cailin, a pixie  is trying to stay true to herself while fighting against forces beyond her control that have exiled her from her home into this strange world of humans. She fears the darkness. He cannot escape it. But when the two of them are thrown together, they begin to discover the light inside of themselves. (via Goodreads)

(This book was sent to me from the author in exchange for an honest review.)

I'm going to just put this out there, so I can get on with the real review. The title of this makes it seem like the story will be quite you know... graphic. As in, I'd have to cover my eyes for a couple pages here and there or everywhere. Despite the initial wariness I felt from the title, I was still excited to get started, hopes high for a good new read. And my hopes weren't in vain, because I finished Oath of Servitude smiling. It was so refreshing and not at all what I expected. I haven't read anything like this in at least 2193861475098 years, if not longer.

Fairies, faeries, and pixies are all very familiar to me, but ohmydarlin', the author wrote this in such a unique, kindofalittlebit wonderful way. She didn't entirely focus on the romance like every other fracking book in YA gosh darn does many other books do nowadays, but instead on the main character, Cailin's, experiences living in a household of humans. It cleared my head and I had a revelation: Not every author writes about constantly reused ideas and cliches. I think I almost cried out in joy. There is hope yet!

Cailin is this young pixie (well, she's actually like two hundred or something, but that's young to pixies) who's sent off to live with humans for a year for being too different among her people. She's 12 inches of attitude and awesomeness. Once I found out she was short, I knew I had to like her. I suffer from the same condition, though not quite as severely (5' 2"). There were times that she irked the hell out of me, but there were also times when I wanted to reach into my screen and hug her.

I'm kind of sick of perfect YA book guys (but not really because they're perfect). The leading male in Oath of Servitude, Teague, had an accident that blinded him, making him very not perfect, but wonderfully endearing at the same time. He was annoying at first, with all of his moping, but when Cailin comes in all sassy to him, his character improves a lot. I think I ended up enjoying his scenes the most by the end. He also had a lot of good dialogue that had me falling for him a bit. Tehe *smiles into shoulder*. 

My biggest issue was that throughout the book, I felt very uninformed about all the problems. Everyone had a secret or a scheme and it was overwhelming, all the things that I had to keep straight - especially because most of the secrets were never revealed. It made the book seem too unresolved. I also had a problem with the minor characters. I genuinely disliked all of them except Teague's dad and this pixie guy, Sariel. Everyone made bad choices that led to awful consequences.

I'd probably recommend this book to people looking for a unique fantasy story. It's fun and not that long, so you could probably finish it in one sitting if you really wanted to. Trust me though, I didn't really want to put it down once I got started.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...