Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy #2) by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins
371 pages of sexiness (and so many feels)
Rating: 4.5/5

Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things. 

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life? (via Goodreads)
 Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1)

This book is a danger to my mental health. All I do is think about it all day. I can't bring myself to put it on the bookshelf, because to do that would mean that I'm done enjoying it - that I'm ready to move on to the next book. BUT I'M NOT. There were so many feels in here. So many intense feels that can't be contained. I've been waiting for this book since the first one in the series, Sweet Evil, left off at the most heartbreaking cliffhanger I've seen in a while. If you're curious about that one, the image is one the side.

I started Sweet Peril at around one in the morning (I like to keep nocturnal hours over weekends and long breaks). At 2:30 AM, the clock started staring at me accusingly. Naturally, I responded by whisper-yelling, "Uno mas pagina! (I have no clue if that's correct Spanish. I'm too busy being Asian.) I just need to finish the next page!" and I ignored it from then on, fearing its angry glares. But I got carried away and accidentally finished it as the sun was rising.

My only issue is that Anna, the main character, was too desperate and whiny for my tastes. Her behavior was almost reminiscent of Twilight's Bella (but not nearly as depressing or ridiculous), because she couldn't get over the guy, Kaidan.  Not only that, but she didn't even try. Basically, Anna just sat there, pining for Kaidan, her love interest, and wondering why he wouldn't get with her. She was also kind of a Mary Sue. There was this part with a knife that just made me cringe. You don't magically get crazy-knife-throwing-deadly-ninja-warrior skills in the span of a couple months. It takes flipping years to develop those kinds of abilities.

I feel like one of Kaidan Rowe's clingy fangirls. Oh, wait. Speaking of Kaidan, there aren't very many fictional guys who strike my fancy for very long after I finish reading, but this guy... Just hearing his name makes me hyperventilate. Makes sense considering he's 1) British, 2) sexy, 3) the drummer in a band, 4) sexy, and 5) sexy. I yearned for him to admit his undying love for me Anna. Alas, I had to wait until the second half of the book for him to even show up properly. Before that, he was around for a page or two and disappeared for the next fifty. Plus, his jealousy wherever Anna and Kopano were concerned was the most delightful thing to read ever. You'll fall for him easily - as long as you're forgiving because sometimes he's an asshole and makes bad choices.

The minor characters are just as interesting as the major characters. There are very few one dimensional characters and I'm pretty sure that all the races were represented, which I appreciated. Not many people care about multiculturalism in books and movies. I commend you, Wendy Higgins. I commend you.

Lately I've been reading too much angel/demon stuff, but the Sweet Trilogy has a sort of twist in it. The demons (a.k.a. Dukes) each specialize in one sin and have children who are forced to encourage humans to commit said sin. Anna is drug abuse and alcohol, Kaidan is lust, Kopano is wrath. The children, or Nephs, are never supposed to be romantically involved with one another, so there's that good ol' forbidden romance popping in again. Anyway, Anna is trying to gain support for a Neph uprising against the Dukes. There wasn't all that much action in this (mostly romance), but I assume that it's being saved for the third book in the trilogy.

The next book comes out in a year. What am I going to do with myself until then? Cry in the corner from Kaidan deficiency, that's what.

Rating: 4.5/5
Did I mention that I live only a couple miles away from the author? I feel like the characters are right there, within my reach.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Nice Blog..!! Saw you on goodreads.com

    I've clicked to 'join this site' and follow you. Would really appreciate a click follow back @

    http://supernova125.blogspot.co.uk/

    Many thanks and all the best. Look forward to reading.

    x_ROSH125_x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...