Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
361 pages (of pure awesomeness)
Rating: 5/5
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is. (via Goodreads)

I have a problem.

I'm in love with another fictional guy. I don't think I can properly portray the depth of my love for this book. Or rather, Daemon Black (but we'll get to that later). The characters were interesting, the plot had me a thousand times more than ensnared, and I literally could not put the book down. Sleep was not even an option when I read this book. It was either finish it or die from not knowing what would happen next. 

I'll admit, at first, I was a bit hesitant to read this. Aliens didn't really have the same appeal as say...fallen angels or faeries to me. After reading this, though, my mind is broadened, my prejudices washed away, and my heart bursting from all the feels. I'm serious. If you walked into my room right now, you would see my heart guts splattered all over the walls, courtesy of the aforementioned feels.

The main character, Katy Swartz, is kind of a refreshing change from the normal YA characters that I've read lately. Usually, the protagonist's life revolves around the drama that he/she has going on around them, but somehow Katy breaks from that. She wasn't a completely annoying girl, so brownie points to that. She finds the time to garden and is constantly reading, which I found wonderful. I mean, if you have books laying around in every nook and cranny of your home (like moi), then it's basically a sure shot that I'll like you. Now when I say she likes books, I mean that she has an all-consuming obsession with them. Well, she has multiple consuming obsessions, actually. 

Her other one is Daemon Black. We have that in common, Katy and I. But, this is a completely reasonable attraction, as Daemon is one of the most drool-worthy guys that I've ever read about. Ever. He's arrogant and rude, but he'll also go to hell and back trying to protect the people he cares about. I mentioned in my last review that I didn't like it when girls lost their heads over guys, but all I wanted throughout reading this was more, more, more Daemon. Any mention of him was wonderful. I didn't even care that Katy wouldn't think about anything else. He was just sooo amazing. Magnificent. Splendiferous. Of course, that's not to say I'm forsaking my Draco Malfoy (whom I have loved deeply for many years, ever since I reread Harry Potter for the second time), but Daemon is magnetic. Maybe I'll just keep him on the side. Now look at the covers to the sequels. Especially Opal. Does he not get more beautiful?
Onyx (Lux, #2) Opal (Lux, #3)
The plot was great. Good aliens hiding from bad aliens, good aliens trying to keep distance from human but failing entirely, good aliens and human defeat bad aliens, and all that jazz. I was intrigued - if not immediately attracted - by this concept. There were slight echoes of Twilight in here, but I was able to ignore them easily and I didn't think of them again much after that. Don't let it stop you though, just because you may have a bias against Twilight. I have one too, but I couldn't tear my eyes away if there were an earthquake at 8.5 on the Richter scale going on beneath my feet.

For those looking for action-packed ass kicking, I'm sorry to say that although there are a couple moments, this book series, Lux, is focused more on romance. So, if you like kissing and mushy-gushy love-love, then here you go. No, that's a lie. Their romance is definitely not mushy. It's intense and burning and clings to your thoughts like it never wants to let go.

I was captivated, enthralled, allured, bewitched, seduced, and any other adjective that could be found even remotely synonymous by Obsidian. I'm not ashamed to say that I fell asleep hugging the series against my chest several nights in a row (I haven't stopped yet and it's been a week). I don't think I can tolerate much longer thinking that there is one single YA-loving girl out there who hasn't read this book. They would be missing out on far too much. I feel like I have a moral duty now to advertise this book to anyone with ears. I've actually been doing this, and it's a little amusing that my male friends are more interested in Daemon than my female ones.

Rating: 5/5
I haven't read a book this awesome in a while. Maybe I'll do a review on the next ones sometime in the future...

4 comments:

  1. I swear i bought this book a few weeks ago and still haven't read it, but every blog i visit has reviewed it and loved it!

    New follower here. I stumbled across your blog through a Book blogs thread.Seeing as how your blog is still active,I decided to sign up(Many people up there don't seem active don't know why)

    I look forward to your future posts and hope i can get some great suggestions from your list of reviews.Hope i can see you back at either one of my blogs.

    guinandlibertadtomas.blogspot.com

    yamulticulturaljunkie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review. I haven't read the book yet, but it's been on my TBR list for a while now.

    New Follower, I found you through a Goodreads group. Welcome to the blogging community :)

    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! It was fantastic and I really enjoy the take on aliens.
    I might be one of the few peoplw who didn't notice the similarities to Twilight until after I finished the book. But I love the Twilight Saga so I didn't really mind it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered Obsidian and reading your review, I'm glad that I did :)
    I'm definitely looking forward to it!

    From a new follower--
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile and if you leave a link to your blog, I'd love to check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...